Statement on Publishing Ethnics in the Journal of Tea Science
Journal of Tea Science is an academic journal in the field of tea science. The journal aims to raise the level of tea science, promote the development of tea science and tea industry, and effectively serve the construction of the national economy by reporting the latest scientific research achievements in tea science, carrying out academic controversy and promoting academic exchanges.
Journal of Tea Science has been following the accepted publishing ethics and taking it as its duty to promote the dissemination and exchange of the academic achievements in the field of tea science. It focuses on academic ethics and promotes innovative spirit; it maintains academic integrity and resists academic misconduct; and it strengthens the team building of editors and reviewers. In order to make clear the publishing ethics that authors, editors and reviewers must follow, in the spirit of sticking to high standard of publishing ethics, this Statement based on the actual situation of Journal of Tea Science and the editorial department is formulated.
1 Publishing ethics for authors
Authors shall abide by academic ethics. After a formal submission of a paper, it automatically means that all authors of the paper are well aware of and agree to the following requirements, including but not limited to:
(1) The paper shall be an original research work (or a review), and the test materials, data, photographs, images, etc. shall be authentic and reliable. No data or facts shall be forged or tampered with.
(2) The paper shall not involve state secrets, and shall not have any intellectual property dispute or infringement; all authors of the paper shall participate in the work of the paper, be aware of the content and the submission of the paper, and have no objection to the signature and its order. Improper signature shall be avoided; The names and sources of funds, projects, tasks and other information shall be truthfully noted, and the funds, projects, tasks and other information unrelated to the paper shall not be noted.
(3) The test materials and samples involved in the paper shall be obtained through legal and compliant channels, and the involved experimental animals shall comply with the ethical regulations on experimental animals.
(4) The paper shall not be submitted to more than one journal for simultaneous consideration and shall not have been published in any other language in any other publication or media in whole or in part. Nor shall the paper be being prepared for publication in other publication or media, to avoid repeating publication of data. During the treatment of a paper by the editorial department according to the relevant regulations, or before receiving an official notification from the editorial department, the paper shall not be submitted to any other publication.
(5) The achievements of previous authors shall be respected. When documents, data, etc. are quoted, the sources of the citation shall be clearly indicated and listed in the form of bibliographies of reference. When quoting others’ writings, authors shall not distort the original point of view. The source of the cited drawings and tables shall be indicated and the consent of the original copyright organization shall be obtained. Plagiarism shall be forbidden.
(6) Once a paper has been officially submitted, all authors agree to sign a Copyright Authorization Agreement of Exclusive Publication of the paper with the editorial department of Journal of Tea Science, and a formal copyright authorization agreement will be signed after the paper is officially accepted.
(7) For the published papers that violate the publishing ethics, the editorial department will cancel the paper and issue a cancellation notice and at the same time notify the withdrawal to the organization for which the authors work.
2 Publishing ethnics for peer review experts
(1) Objectivity and fair shall be ensured. The peer reviewers use their professional knowledge and ability to review and comment on the originality, scientificity and practicability of manuscripts, and they shall give clear, objective and fair comments. Only the academic level of reviewed manuscripts shall be evaluated, and different academic opinions shall be respected. It shall be avoided to publish offensive, derogatory or subjective comments and evaluate the authors personally. The opinions of peer reviewers shall not be affected by race, sex, religion or belief, nor shall they be discriminated against on the basis of race, sex, religion or belief.
(2) Review shall be completed in time. It is required to complete the review of a paper within a specified time and submit the review comments. If a review expert can't complete it on time, she or he should explain the situation and apply in advance to extend the review time or return the manuscript.
(3) Confidentiality policy shall be observed. It is demanded strictly keeping reviewed paper, review comments and other relevant information confidential, and it shall be forbidden to circulate or discuss with others; it shall not be allowed to entrust the review work to others without permission of the editorial department and quote the data, the opinions or the conclusions of the reviewed paper before the paper is officially published. It shall be forbidden to occupy the data, the opinions or the conclusions of the review paper for own use or for private use by others.
(4) The avoidance system shall be implemented. Reviewers should take the initiative to avoid the papers with conflicts of interest due to competition, cooperation, etc. with authors, organizations, and enterprises.
3 Publishing ethnics for editors
(1) The national laws and regulations, the academic publishing ethics, the professional ethics and the rules and regulations of the editorial department shall be abided by.
(2) Fairness and impartiality in review and acceptance of papers shall be ensured. The manuscript processing procedures shall be strictly abided by, and the papers should be processed in time. A peer review system, a double-blind review system and an avoidance system of interest-related peer review experts shall be adhered to. Authors’ research achievement and review experts’ opinions should be respected, and it is needed to grasp the criteria of selecting articles.
(3) Confidentiality policy shall be observed. It is required to keep the information in authors and review experts confidential, ensure the authenticity of review records, take good care of documents created in the process of review and revision of manuscripts and keep the documents confidential. It shall be forbidden to disclose the information in manuscripts, review to any other unrelated personnel.
(4) Practicing integrity shall be persevered in. Editors shall refrain from all commercial needs and exchange of interests that will be detrimental to the academic ethics, reject manuscripts with personal relationships, and must not interfere with the review work of peer experts. The avoidance system shall be implemented, namely when having competition, cooperation or other conflicts of related interest with authors, organizations, etc. of manuscripts, editors shall take the initiative to avoid processing the manuscripts.
(5) Academic misconducts shall be prevented. Editors shall strengthen the examination of received manuscripts and accepted manuscripts to be published, and make every attempt to avoid academic misconducts such as multiple submissions and repeating publications. Any complaints of academic anomie on published articles shall be promptly investigated in accordance with regulations. The disposal results should be replied or released in time.
(6) A sense of service and a sense of responsibility. When an author makes a reasonable appeal with sufficient evidence, the responsible editor shall take it seriously, playing the role of an intermediary bridge to do a good job in communication and promptly feeding back the information to the editorial department. The editorial department shall take further measures to deal with it. If necessary, the editorial board may be convened for discussion and a final decision may be made by the editorial board. The decision made by the editorial department accordingly shall be final. The editorial department will not accept repeating or unsubstantiated claims.
(7) Discipline and punishment. For editors who violate regulations, the editorial department has the responsibility and obligation to feed back the situation to the organizer for further treatment.
The Editorial Office, Journal of Tea Science